Work Safely Around Electricity
- Look up and around – always be aware of the location of power lines.
- Be especially careful when working near power lines attached to your house. Keep equipment and yourself at least 10 feet from lines.
- Never trim trees near power lines – if you see a tree growing too near power lines, contact us to report it.
- Never climb a utility pole, and never attach anything to a utility pole.
- If your project includes digging, like building a deck or planting a tree, call 811 for underground locates at least two business days before you dig. This service is free, prevents the inconvenience of having utilities interrupted, and can help you avoid serious injury.
Call Before You Dig
Before digging at any location, it is the law to notify Diggers Hotline of Nebraska. After you call, this service notifies all potential companies of the location of the excavation and the type of work being done. If you hit an underground utility line while digging, you can harm yourself or those around you, disrupt service to an entire neighborhood and you could be responsible for fines and repair costs. It’s a free service that could save your life and those around you.
Always call before you dig. State law requires 48 hour advance notification prior to digging. The number for diggers hotline is 811.